Stachybotrys chartarum is the type of mold known as “black mold.” It is sometimes referred to as “toxic mold” because it can produce dangerous toxins called mycotoxins. It can be found in any part of your home or business, seeing as building materials such as wood, paper, fiberboard, cotton products, and other materials are conducive to the growth of black mold. Dramatic news stories that warn about the dangers of black mold can be alarming and confusing at times. Keep in mind that any mold in your home should be treated with caution. In many instances, multiple kinds of mold can exist in the same house or building. No matter what color or type, stay out of affected areas and take care not to touch or disturb the mold.

Black Mold Exposure

Black mold produces harmful mycotoxins that can spread all throughout a home or building. These spores are carried through the heating, air-conditioning, and ventilation systems. If inhaled or ingested, they can cause severe health problems in animals and humans, especially infants.

Black Mold Symptoms and Health Effects

The most common black mold symptoms and health effects are associated with a respiratory response. Chronic coughing and sneezing, eye irritation, mucus membranes, rashes, chronic fatigue, and persistent headaches can all be symptoms of black mold exposure or poisoning. In severe cases, black mold health effects can be more dangerous. These effects can include nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose.

If you suspect you may have a black mold problem, contact GenCorp Services immediately for professional remediation services. Visit our mold remediation page for more information about our mold removal and abatement services.